Thursday 29 August 2013

Tortillas

I'm not sure why I've never attempted homemade tortillas before. I don't even think I've looked at a recipe for them before. I didn't think they would be hard or anything, they just were never on my radar.

They're on my radar now!

Homemade tortillas are simply amazing. They're simple to prepare, take minutes to cook, and the resulting taste is like nothing you'll find at the grocery store. I have been converted to the homemade-tortilla side and I can't see myself ever going back.

Rolling it out. Excuse the stripe of pink polish on my thumb!

Cooking in cast iron. I would use a griddle next time.

For the tortillas:
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
A scant 1/2 cup lard or shortening
3/4 to 1 1/4 cup boiling water

Place flour, salt, powder, and lard in a medium bowl without stirring.

Add your boiling water in parts, incorporating it as you go with your hands or a rubber spatula. You want all of the ingredients to incorporate without being too sticky.

Knead the dough with your hands for 5 minutes, then form into a ball. Cover and let the dough rest for 15-20 minutes.

After the dough has rested, divide into 12 equal pieces and roll into balls. Roll each piece into a thin circle. Heat your pan or griddle to medium heat.

Place a tortilla into your pan or on your griddle. It should begin to bubble within 30 seconds; burst them with your spatula as they form. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked through.

Repeat with the remaining dough.

Source: Style Me Pretty

A couple notes: I wasn't able to roll out my tortillas as thin as I would have liked; I think the dough was a little bit too dry. Also, in the cast iron skillet, the tortillas barely needed a minute on each side to cook; keep that in mind if you you choose that method.

So, what did my mom and I do with this lovely tortillas? Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa. Yum!


26 x 26 : 4 / 26

2 comments:

  1. You should try corn ones next, if you can get masa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister made some a couple years ago and I was going to try my own, but then we moved to the land of tortillas and the grocery stores we go to have them being made fresh continuously and they are so fantastic that I lost my motivation!!

    ReplyDelete