Thursday 8 August 2013

To read is to live.

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." - Sir Richard Steele

What? That's not an iPad!

My reading goal is simple: to read twenty books by the end of the year. I love reading, so the goal as written shouldn't be very hard for me to accomplish. I have decided to create a list of the twenty books I want to read, in order to give me some direction. It isn't complete, so if you have any suggestions please post in the comments section!

  1. The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton
  2. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
  3. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
  4. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
  5. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling
  6. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
  7. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
  8. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Secrets - J.K Rowling
  9. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling
  10. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling
  11. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
  12. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
  13. Lamb - Christopher Moore
  14. The Book of Negroes - Lawrence Hill
  15. A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

What books would you recommend I fill my final five spots with? Or maybe there is one on my list that shouldn't be? I'd love your opinions!


12 comments:

  1. You need a couple chick lit/easy reads on there ... Other than the Harry Potter books, it's a lot of heavy, serious stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, and Kristyne, are right! I'll definitely add a few to the list!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Becky. You need a few fluffier books on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Girls - Lori Lansens
    A Dog's Purpose - W. Bruce Cameron
    anything by Jennifer Weiner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I will certainly add A Dog's Purpose to the list. I tried getting into The Girls again and couldn't, maybe I'll add it to my list for next year.

      Delete
  4. The Fault in Our Stars- John Green. Such a great read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read this one actually, but you're right - such a great book!

      Delete
  5. I agree with anything by Jennifer Weiner. My favourites were Certain Girls (though read Good in Bed first maybe?), Little Earthquakes (just, ... beware. Could be tough, but I love that it was), and Then Came You (again... just be aware).

    Have you read The Help? Anything by Jodi Picoult (favourites: 19 Minutes and House Rules)? Do you hate the idea of Nicholas Sparks? And do they have to be written for adults? Because the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series is still at the top of my list. Especially now that there's the "last" book when they're 30. So so beautifully written!

    Will you update when you have those last 5 spots filled? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I love the idea of reading Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants!

      Delete
  6. Moloka'i by Alan Brennert - An excuse to return to the islands and see where this happened :) I have the epub if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Anne of Green Gables series is a fun, light read too. Also have them if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete