Saturday 7 September 2013

Layered Chocolate Pudding

I have a little secret for you... I don't really like chocolate. I mean, I like it but it is never ever my first choice. I'm a vanilla girl through and through. 

But pudding? Pudding has to be chocolate.

I love chocolate pudding and have been craving it for a really long time. Honestly, that's the main reason I added it to my 26 X 26 list - just so I could have an excuse to make it! This recipe is super easy and the layers allow for a little bit of wow-factor (mine don't look that pretty, but I didn't mind because it tasted so good)!



For the pudding:

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups whole milk
4 large egg yolks
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (note: I used salted butter and omitted the salt further up in the recipe. It turned out fine!)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 oz. high-quality dark chocolate (note: again, since I live in a small town, high-quality chocolate isn't really available. I used Dove bars for both the dark and milk, and it was still yummy.)
2 oz. high-quality milk chocolate (see above)
1 tbsp. cocoa powder (optional)

Place the dark and milk chocolates in separate, medium-sized bowls. Bloom the cocoa powder, if using, with a little hot water to make a paste and add to the bowl with the dark chocolate.

Put the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan and whisk to combine.

Slowly add the milk and whisk to combine, making sure to dissolve all of the cornstarch and removing any lumps. Whisk in the egg yolks.

Whisking constantly, cook over medium-high heat until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble. This took me about seven minutes.

Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for one more minute, continuing to whisk. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and butter. Divide the pudding evenly, through a fine-mesh strainer, over the chocolates. Whisk to combine the melted chocolate.

Spoon even amount of each pudding into a serving dish (I used mason jars). Press plastic wrap to the surface, if you don't like pudding skin, and chill for at least one hour.

Source: Serious Eats

26 x 26 : 5 / 26


1 comment:

  1. I am a vanilla girl, too!

    I've never made homemade chocolate pudding ... I think I might need to try!

    ReplyDelete