Tuesday 24 September 2013

Banana Chocolate-Chip Muffins

My mom has been baking these banana chocolate-chip muffins since I was a young, and they have remained a favourite of mine ever since. Honestly, I'm even having trouble putting into words how much I love them. Sure, they aren't the healthiest muffin because of the addition of shortening, but the shortening helps them stay tender for a long time (when stored in an air-tight bag or container). 

If you're looking for a way to use up those banana's I know you have kicking around in your freezer, try this recipe. I promise it won't disappoint you! 


For the muffins:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oat bran
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup Golden Crisco, melted
3-4 bananas, mashed
1 cup chocolate chips, optional (but not really!)

Combine flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. I like to dump my chocolate chips into this mixture too, so that the flour can coat them so that they won't drift to the bottom of your muffin.

Beat together the egg, granulated sugar, Crisco, and bananas until combined. 

Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring just to combine. 

Fill lined muffin cups 3/4 full (I use a large cookie scoop from Pampered Chef and it's the perfect amount) and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 F. 

Allow to cool completely before eating, they don't taste as good when warm!

Source: Unknown. My mom and I think it came from a magazine many, many years ago... we're not sure, though!



1 comment:

  1. I have purchased and used more crisco in the last year than I ever thought I would .... but's it almost all exclusively for icing and decorating cakes and pie crusts. I am not sure I can wrap my head around melting it for muffins!!!

    ReplyDelete